Choosing the Best Landscaping Plants for Easy Upkeep
Want your outdoor space to look clean and inviting but don’t want to spend hours maintaining it? Every landscape design requires a certain amount of maintenance, but avoiding delicate plants will make your life a whole lot easier. There are plenty of low-maintenance landscaping plant options you can use in your landscape design. Plants that grow quickly, don’t shed branches or leaves, and deter pests are ideal for low-maintenance landscape projects.
Another important factor to consider when choosing easy plant options for your outdoor space is lifespan. Will the plant survive multiple winters and continue to look good year after year? If not, you’ll have to dedicate time and money to replace your plants each spring. Also consider if you want your landscaping to look good throughout the winter, since there are tree and shrub options that last year-round. The best low-maintenance plants will last for years at a time with minimal upkeep.
Easy Landscaping Plant Options
There are many different low-maintenance plant options that you can use in your commercial landscaping project. You have options for flowers, trees, and shrubs to diversify your low-maintenance landscape design.
If you don’t want flowers that require constant watering and care but seek a pop of color in your outdoor space, consider using these flowers:
- Black-eyed susans: If you’re looking for a vibrant flower that deer and rabbits will stay away from, black-eyed susans are a perfect low-maintenance option. These bright yellow flowers love direct sunlight and will rebloom for many years.
- Hardy geraniums: These colorful blooms aren’t picky about water, sun, or soil, making them a perfect low-maintenance landscaping flower. Hardy geraniums have dense, low-growing greenery and small flowers that attract butterflies.
- Shasta daisies: Though Shasta daisies require partial sun and drained soil, they are easy to maintain once they bloom. Different varieties can grow to different heights, allowing you to use these white and yellow flowers in many ways.
To provide shade and height to your commercial landscaping project, you can use these low-maintenance trees:
- Pistache tree: These are shady, strong trees that turn a vibrant orange in the fall. Pistache trees resist insects and diseases and won’t interfere with asphalt or piping, which is why they are one of the easiest trees to maintain.
- Norway spruce tree: You might associate Norway spruce trees with Christmas, but they also work well in commercial landscaping. Because they grow to be very tall, these dark green trees work well in large spaces to block wind and provide year-round shade.
- Jacquemontii birch tree: If you need a low-maintenance tree option for a small outdoor space, jacquemontii birch trees are narrow and tall. Jacquemontii birch trees grow quickly, can withstand cool temperatures, and have striking white bark.
Low-Maintenance Foundation Landscaping Shrubs
Foundation landscaping softens the gap between your land and building. Consider using these long-lasting shrubs:
- Spirea: These shrubs grow easily and can reach up to 6 feet in height. Once planted in full or partial sun, they require little maintenance. There are many varieties of spirea that produce different-colored blooms and bright green foliage.
- Juniper: If you’re searching for an aromatic, long-lasting shrub that you can use as a ground cover plant on the edges of your foundation landscaping, juniper is a great option. There are countless juniper shrub options to liven up your space.
- Boxwood: For an evergreen shrub that will look good year-round, consider boxwood. Boxwood bushes grow waxy, thick leaves that you can prune to any shape. These shrubs are great for covering unsightly property features and providing privacy.
Need Easy Landscaping Plant Ideas? Varsity Inc. Can Help
Are you having trouble imagining how you’ll incorporate low-maintenance flowers, trees, or foundation shrubs into your landscaping project? Varsity Inc. specializes in practical, effortless landscape design for any commercial project. Our landscaping experts will guide your design, install your plants, and maintain your site, so you don’t have to worry about upkeep.
Varsity Inc. knows that embarking on a commercial landscaping project can be overwhelming. However, your landscaping can also affect how customers and visitors perceive your business, so having an attractive outdoor space is critical. That’s why we want to show you how to optimize your space and ensure you choose beautiful, hardy plants that are easy to care for. Contact us today to learn more about our commercial landscaping solutions and how we can get your site ready for a low-maintenance spring and summer.
1204 Main Street
Swoyersville, PA 18704
Dushore, PA 18648